I hate earthquakes

Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Today we had an earthquake. The epicenter was really close to here. It was a 5.4. This is the strongest earthquake I can remember feeling and I grew up here in Southern California. The shaking wasn't so bad, but it was so loud and it went on for 15 seconds. Matt was in the playroom and a little freaked out, but probably more by me running in saying "it's OK" over and over. Kate was at school and they were outside for lunch. She said she didn't feel anything, she just heard the alarm and had to get under the table. Our phone still isn't working, thank goodness for cell phones, but even that was difficult to get through at times. I have to admit that I have been doing a pretty good job at getting our emergency kits ready, but there are still things I need to do, like know how to turn off the gas and water. I hope we never have to use them.

3 comments:

Deb said...

I was totally thinking about you guys when I found out it was in Chino. I didn't have your number in my cell phone, so I couldn't call you! We are on our way to Wal-mart to grab a few things, one being Kate's bday present. since we were driving, I didn't feel it at all, but when I got to the store ,people were coming out and they temporarily closed the store. I was sad I missed it. I grew up in a 2 story house, and I must say they always feel the worst upstairs! Did water go out of your pool? p.s. i did go back to walmart later and i have no clue what to get little miss kate. i need some hints. e-mail me!

Deb said...

i meant to say we WERE on our way to walmart.

Carrie said...

Hey Hill family!
Saw your blog on Sarah's. Love the title of your blog. It is fun to see your family growing up! Glad you guys are okay after that earthquake.

I think that is awesome that you are in a quilt block group. I learned how to sew when we moved back to Utah and I have enjoyed sewing a few quilts myself. Did you start the group? I was thinking of starting one here with some people - any pointers for running a quilt block group?